A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

davidbourne
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Re-powering a MacM from 70 HP up

Post by davidbourne » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:36 pm

Vkmaynard,

I live in Asheville. I hope to sail mostly in Lakes Keowee, Jocassee, and James and Coastal SC. I grew up a block from the ICW, in G town SC so I hope to get back there, too.

davidbourne
Chief Steward

Post by davidbourne » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:48 pm

DaveB wrote:Victor,
Resale of boat adding another $9,000 for engine -$1500 for old engine = 7500 out of pocket that I will never get back but it will help sell boat faster.
You might not get all the 7500 back, but the 90Hp on the X seems like the best fit for many of us.

As someone who is wanting an X with a 90, I'd love to find one that I did not have to create myself. I'm not sure what to do with the 50hp that I'm likely to find on a used X.

I might put it on my 13' whaler, but that will be a bit too big and heavy, though lots of folks do it.

vkmaynard
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Apex, NC - 2001 26X "Compromise" w/ 2010 Suzuki DF90A

Post by vkmaynard » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:53 pm

David, come visit anytime.

We will be in Asheville Nov 12 looking at UNC for our youngest son.

jschrade
First Officer

Post by jschrade » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:11 am

You realize that for $8,100 you could have purchased a nice little powerboat that would be about a 1,000 times better for skiing behind than the Mac? I/O would be even better for lower cost.

Jim :macm:
vkmaynard wrote:
tkanzler wrote:What's the typical installed price of the Suzuki DF90A?

Or the Evinrude Etec 90, for that matter?

My Honda BF50 has been fine for me so far, even pulling my son on a wakeboard, but you know how it is - if 50 hp is good, 90 hp must be better. :?
We marginally pulled our kids and some of their lite friends (15.5 MPH) wakeboarding for several years until they were 15+. Our kids only weighed in at 120-130. Our oldest is now 20 and probably weighs 135 lbs. It finally became unfun one summer and we skipped wakeboarding which drastically reduce our boat usage. So the next year (2010) we swapped out the motor.

Chatlee Marine in Sanford NC had the lowest price by nearly $2K. We spent $8,100 on the motor, cables, harnes, control, prop and tax. We pre-sold our Honda 50 to a freind with a Mac 26X for $3K. We swapped out his Tahtsu 50 motor at our house. He in turn sold his Tahtsu for $1500. Trikle down motor economy.

We did our own install. Super easy. Just need an engine hoist (can be rented). The most difficult task was engineering the new control install to maximize the clearance between the wheel and the throttle. I did not want to use the side mount install which I considered unsafe due to getting my hand stuck between the wheel and throttle while docking.

Victor

vkmaynard
Captain
Location: Apex, NC - 2001 26X "Compromise" w/ 2010 Suzuki DF90A

Post by vkmaynard » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:18 am

Maybe. I am not sure what boat I can buy with a 6 year warranty on the engine for $5100 that will pull a wakeboarder at 22 MPH. Every boat my frineds/family have purchased recently in that price range needed major engine repair.

Then we would have two boats to maintain with two $720 per yr storage fees and two $180 per year tax fees.

Victor
Last edited by vkmaynard on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:29 am, edited 4 times in total.

Dimitri-2000X-Tampa
Admiral
Location: Tampa, Florida 2000 Mercury BigFoot 50HP 4-Stroke on 26X hull# 3575.B000

Post by Dimitri-2000X-Tampa » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:44 am

Yassou Octaman and a belated congratulations on your new motor! I am very jealous indeed as I still tool around on my 26X with my 2000 model year (built in 1999) carbureted Mercury 50 big foot. But alas, it still keeps running well so I still don't have the motivation to upgrade. But I'm paying attention to all of you who have upgraded so when the time comes, I'll get the right motor. Of course, I've been looking at it for so many years that the options keep changing.

It must be very nice to cruise the Greek islands on a Mac. I've thought about getting one myself to leave over there as I do visit every year or two. My family and I were in Greece over the summer but the closest I got to the Aegean water was a ferry boat from Lavrion to Syros! If you ever hear of any used Mac's coming up for sale, please let me know. I have a parking lot in Corfu that I could probably keep it at.

Looking at Victor's picture of his self installed big motor reminds me of when I had a cooling problem on my Mercury and had to lift the powerhead to fix it. I didn't have the fancy motor hoist, but instead improvised!!! Note the 4X4 columns strapped to the rudders of the boat and the cheap "come-along" and dock lines as the lifting machine. Kind of like some good old fashioned Greek/redneck ingenuity there...and it did work!

davidbourne
Chief Steward

Post by davidbourne » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:23 pm

Vkmaynard,

Thanks for the invite! I used to teach at UNCA so let me know if you need any advice.

DB

DaveB
Admiral
Location: Cape Coral, Florida,1997 Mac. X, 2013 Merc.50hp Big Foot, sold 9/10/15

Post by DaveB » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:45 pm

Dimitri,
I got lucky and had a co worker that had a Cherry Picker (2 ton Lift) .(you can rent one for $20 a day)
Remember at Cayo Costa and we were talking about rusting Trim motors and you noticed mine.
Well I changed mine just in time but had to pull the motor aft to change it. The 4 screws were a major getting out as the factory used a seazeing liquid on them.
Took 3 hrs and compaction driver to get them out and split the trim caseing on one bolt.
Honda should have used aluminum caseing on the Elect. trim tab. Instead it was cheap steel and rusted thru, when I did take it out I gave a light tap with a small hammer and opened up a quarter size hole to inside the elect. motor.
One more trip out and the salt water would have short circuit and froze the unit.
I have mentioned, bring a magnet with you when purchaseing a new motor.
Dave

Dimitri-2000X-Tampa wrote:Looking at Victor's picture of his self installed big motor reminds me of when I had a cooling problem on my Mercury and had to lift the powerhead to fix it. I didn't have the fancy motor hoist, but instead improvised!!! Note the 4X4 columns strapped to the rudders of the boat and the cheap "come-along" and dock lines as the lifting machine. Kind of like some good old fashioned Greek/redneck ingenuity there...and it did work!

Octaman
Engineer

Post by Octaman » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:49 am

DaveB
Sounds to me like you have enough weight forward for powering, perhaps more than you need for sailing. Also, the long distance from motor to batteries requires longer, thicker cables; means more weight. And as a rule better to keep distance as short as possible and very heavy objects like batteries closer to the Centre of Gravity of the boat closer to the centre, if I may express my opinion.

Dimitri,
Thanks for your kind words. I can guess that around 40 Macs have been sold in Greece, new. So, finding a second-hand one will not be easy. PM me and I can give you details of the local dealer for Greece if you wish. He may be able to help you find a used boat.
I will keep my eyes and ears open anyway. I am the only Mac in my harbour and broader area.
So you were in Lavrion. My home is just 10 n.m. further north from Lavrion. I was stuck in Larion for one day due to bad weather; the port authorities there were very helpful. When I left Lavrion heading back home, it was only because of my big powerful engine that I would overcome the strong opposing current with ease and make it back in a timely fashion. I love my :macm:

Syros, is another one of my favourite Greek islands. That is right in the Aegean Sea. Some challenging sailing to be had when the 'meltemi' is blowing. Hope you had a good time.

Happy Power Sailing,

Octaman 8)

Dimitri-2000X-Tampa
Admiral
Location: Tampa, Florida 2000 Mercury BigFoot 50HP 4-Stroke on 26X hull# 3575.B000

Post by Dimitri-2000X-Tampa » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:51 pm

Dave,

That is good that you replaced the tt motor before it might have stranded you. When I had my problems last year and ended up replacing mine after my 250nm round trip to Cayo Costa; I had it docked at my house and it first siezed in the down position so I was learning how to release the hydraulic pressure and lift the motor manually so that I could get it on the trailer, but this would have been very difficult to do with the boat in the water. Then on a very warm day, and a lot of banging with a hammer, I got it to grind away and tilt the motor back up one last time. As I hadn;t dropped the mast yet, I couldn't get it out for another week or so and so the motor ended up siezing again in the up position. Which of course, was not so bad because I just got my neighbor to tow me to the boat ramp and was able to pull the boat out to replace the motor. Luckily, I found a drop in replacement for about $150 at a mail order alternator shop in Georgia I think. Mercury wanted something over $500 just for the little electric motor (about twice that much for the whole kit with hydraulics, etc.). I was able to fabricate a special tool (extension piece with hex key on end) and get the 4 bolts off without having to do anything special with the motor...so that was lucky. It lasted a little over 10 years and figuring that you have an electromagnetic field running through a piece of painted steel that is immersed in salt water, I suppose one can't expect much more than that. The base of the motor is painted aluminum but what fails is the cover over the windings which is painted steel. I did slather mine in axle grease after putting it on to try to delay the inevidable corrosion but some of these things are just going to be recurring maint items over time. Probably I won't keep this motor another 10 years is my guess....before putting a much bigger one on one of these years.

Octaman,

Thanks for the information and you must be quite the sight when high speed powering through all those traditional sail boats in Greece. I'll send you a PM sometime just so we can exchange email addresses and such. Having some Mac contacts in Greece would be great although it may be another year or two before I'm really serious about buying one for there too. In the meantime, I'm thoroughly enjoying my 26X for more than 8 years now in the shallow Florida waters.

Dimitri

Octaman
Engineer

Post by Octaman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:42 am

MacM + 1950cc = HUGE success

Hello to all Mac lovers,

Just decided to pop in after several years of absence.
Highlander and Beene may remember me.
I have a Suzuki 100 hp/1950cc on my 2004 26M

This is 2017 and my last post on this thread was in 2011. I started this thread in November 2010 and since then I have seen a lot of newcomers asking what the right engine is for the Mac 26M on the MacGregor website.

So as I reminder, I bring up this thread again supporting my decision to upgrade to more torque (it’s not the horsepower that makes the actual difference, it's the torque!)
It’s 5 plus years I’ve been away, and I’m back to say, I’m still with my Mac 26M, I still have my Suzuki 100hp/1950cc and a few thousand miles down the road I can still say this is the best upgrade I could have ever performed. No problems, no issues, all good.

This comes from a super happy Mac owner that upgraded to the right motor and is back again to re-confirm just that.

And to commemorate this moment here is a photo of my Mac at wide open throttle doing 23.5 knots (that would be 27 miles per hour) this past summer 2016 in Greece. Fully laden in cruising mode and with two persons in the cockpit.

Wishing you all the very best,

Octaman

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:16 pm

Very Nice :)
Wish I was there right now lol

J 8)

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:49 pm

Highlander wrote:Wish I was there right now lol
My boat is tarped, it's 34 degrees F, there's snow on the ground, it's gray, and it's raining.

I wish I were there, too. Or Florida. :|

Ponaldpe
First Officer

Post by Ponaldpe » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:00 pm

Tomfoolery wrote:
My boat is tarped, it's 34 degrees F, there's snow on the ground, it's gray, and it's raining.

\

Florida is getting close to being full, all the roads and most of the water ways. Hard to turn around and not run into someone from a cold climate .

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:41 pm

Ditto :D
Tomfoolery wrote: