Forum Home
IntroductionBrowse
Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home

Mainsail Sail Slides - not getting these

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale, Paul S, tangentair, Frank C, beene, Heath_Mod

Mainsail Sail Slides - not getting these

Postby jschrade » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:52 pm

New MacGregor 26M owner and much thanks to this forum which is a tremendous resource.

Searching with the word "slide" and "sail" in it brings back a ridiculous amount of posts.

I simply do not get what value sail slides bring to the table as they fall out through the slot that you use to put them in when the sail is lowered. I did find a post that talks about using a sail stopper that goes in the track but you cannot really stow the sail with this in as it is too high.

I sort of had a picture of releasing the mainsail halyard, the sails drop and I put some sail ties on and motor away. Conversely, raising the sail requires someone standing there to feed each of the sail slides through the open track.

There has to be a better way.

Bonus question: What are the little coiled up lines on the back of my Doyle mainsail for? :)

Jim :macm:
jschrade
First Officer

Re: Mainsail Sail Slides - not getting these

Postby bubba » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:01 am

Try looking at Tidesmarine.com for there Strong Track product system. Several of the sail lofts I have been getting new sail quotes from are reps for this product. I am adding it to the price of new sails on the forum 'Buying a new main sail? Musclehead?' in Performance & Tuning. I looked at there web site and it is just as you say drop your sails and zip up the cover but that is with a 'lazy jack main cradle system'. The track and slides are made with something like tefflon and are very friction free. I did call and they sayed there system will work on our mast track for sure. Cost is around $770.00 for the complete system including slides and is easy to install. The Co. is in Fla. and I think it should be a good system if 5 of the sail lofts sell this system including: Doyle sails, UK Halsey, North Sails, Port Townsend sails, Ballard Sails.

I did shop around but could not find any better slides for our mast track, I was origionally looking for a better slide for a fully battened sail which battens would cause worst jaming than the courrent plastic slides on our standard sails.
bubba
Captain

Location: Richland,WA Columbia River Lake Wallula "INSPIRATION" w/70 suz. 9' Merc dingy
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Postby waternwaves » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:07 am

I have the standard small slugs supplied by BWY in seattle
I have the screwstopper plug
I have the BWY marked macgregor boom bag for my main.

covers the sail just fine with the nut in and holding the slugs up in the track. The only two times I touch that nut is once during takedown and once during setup.
waternwaves
Admiral

Location: X less in North Puget Sound -have to sail other boats for a while

Postby Duane Dunn, Allegro » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:28 am

There are many flavors of sail slides that will work for your main. There is no need for a fancy track system like those used on bigger boats. We have simple slides on our sail, you release the halyard, the slide all drop to the sail stop, and you put on the mainsail cover. Note that with the slides stacked in the track you may need a mainsail cover that is taller than the commonly sold one at the mast to accommodate the stack of slides.

Sailrite sells a large variety of slides.
http://search.sailrite.com/?freeText=sail%20slides

The ones on my sail are plastic slides with a squarish metal loop that is sewed to the bolt rope with a heavy lashing twine. I didn't install them, the previous owner did, but for the past ten years this installation has worked just fine.

We use a sail stop to keep the slides in the track.

Fancier installations attach the slide to the sail with a plastic shackle. Often these shackles go through a grommet in the sail right next to the bolt rope. They even make vampire shackles that are made to simply be screwed right through the sail cloth without a grommet.

Check out the video of the screw on installation under the video tab here
http://www.sailrite.com/Screw-on-Plastic-Shackle-5-8

Here is a wealth of information in videos about slide selection, spacing, and installation.
http://www.sailrite.com/Spacing-Slugs-o ... ail-Video#
Duane Dunn, Allegro
Admiral

Location: Bellevue, Wa '96 26x, Tohatsu 90 TLDI and Plug In Hybrid Electric drive
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby c130king » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:11 am

Jim,

I use the sailrite slugs...installed on my new sail this past September:

From sailrite.com:
Order Summary:
Item -- Screw on Plastic Shackle 5/8"
Qty -- 20
Rate -- $0.80
Amount -- $16.00

Item -- Slug Nylon Round 3/8"
Qty -- 20
Rate -- $0.45
Amount -- $9.00

Total
$25.00

I think I installed 15 or 16. Used my old sail and put the news on the new sail in the exact same position. Took about 30-45 minutes. Was not difficult and I am pretty much a dunce when it comes to being handy.

The slug-stopper (or a bungee cord around the mast just above the slot) works fine. The slugs pile up as the sail comes down but the sail flakes very nicely. The cover goes on easily...after I take down the lazy jack system (less than 2 minutes). And this is all done single-handed. Can't see how it could be any easier (watch video for example)

Furling and Lazy Jack Video

Works perfectly on my 26M.

Good Luck,
Jim
c130king
Admiral

Postby bubba » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:12 am

I have been serching for better slides and I already had the web site in my favirates. Thanks for the link.
bubba
Captain

Location: Richland,WA Columbia River Lake Wallula "INSPIRATION" w/70 suz. 9' Merc dingy

Postby Highlander » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:29 am

waternwaves wrote:I have the standard small slugs supplied by BWY in seattle
I have the screwstopper plug
I have the BWY marked macgregor boom bag for my main.

covers the sail just fine with the nut in and holding the slugs up in the track. The only two times I touch that nut is once during takedown and once during setup.

As Darren say's

Here's 4 main sails in this pics all have the slides the sail cover's all have tower's on them that go up the mast to cover all of the sail
http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab1/ ... 010099.jpg

J
Highlander
Admiral

Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Meaford harbour Georgian Bay, Ont. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Postby Rick Westlake » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:56 am

I lost a couple of these screw-type sail stops ...
http://www.sailrite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=2212&c=603010&h=85378b933d72b107b3f5

Last autumn, I drilled a 3/16" hole through my sail track, at the upper side of the luff-rope notch; just far enough up that the slug (slide) can't fall out of the notch. I can thread a quick-pin through it, or a zip-tie, or even a short length of 3/16" cord secured with a square knot (very cheap and easy to replace!)

My one slight disappointment with my new-last-spring KH 2000 mainsail is that it would have been better to space each of those bottom two slugs halfway between the reefing cringles, so I could pull in a reef without having to drop those slugs out of the track. (Hint, hint, Art.)

When Doyle Chesapeake built my new Stack Pack, Chuck O'Malley (the manager) asked me for the height of my headboard above the gooseneck - with the sail-stop in and all the slugs stacked atop the sail-stop. He made the cover to fit that measurement, so I can leave the stop tied in when I cover the sail. I can also drop the slugs out of the track with the sail in the cover, zip up the mast-end over the folded luff, and store the main in the Stack Pack - on, or off, the boom.
Rick Westlake
Captain

Location: Casa Rio Marina, Mayo, MD; MacGregor 26X, "Bossa Nova" - Bristol 29.9 "Halcyon"

Postby Duane Dunn, Allegro » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:48 pm

Here is my cover. All the slides are in the track and the sail stop is just above the feed opening.

Duane Dunn, Allegro
Admiral

Location: Bellevue, Wa '96 26x, Tohatsu 90 TLDI and Plug In Hybrid Electric drive

Postby Capt Sully » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:09 pm

c130king wrote:Jim,

I use the sailrite slugs...installed on my new sail this past September:

From sailrite.com:
Order Summary:
Item -- Screw on Plastic Shackle 5/8"
Qty -- 20
Rate -- $0.80
Amount -- $16.00

Item -- Slug Nylon Round 3/8"
Qty -- 20
Rate -- $0.45
Amount -- $9.00

Total
$25.00

I think I installed 15 or 16. Used my old sail and put the news on the new sail in the exact same position. Took about 30-45 minutes. Was not difficult and I am pretty much a dunce when it comes to being handy.

The slug-stopper (or a bungee cord around the mast just above the slot) works fine. The slugs pile up as the sail comes down but the sail flakes very nicely. The cover goes on easily...after I take down the lazy jack system (less than 2 minutes). And this is all done single-handed. Can't see how it could be any easier (watch video for example)

Furling and Lazy Jack Video

Works perfectly on my 26M.

Good Luck,
Jim

Jim, all good info. where did you get the Lazy Jack system ? is it made for the 26M and can be ordered that way ?

thanks, Sully
Capt Sully
Chief Steward

Postby jschrade » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:33 pm

Thanks for all of the responses!

I have the BWY Mainsail cover and put it on the 1st time Saturday, the one's in the picture seem to a tad taller than mine. Interestingly, the sail slides are sewn on to my Doyle sail that I came with the boat.

It seems the sail stopper is the solution for keeping the slides in the track. I have to see if I can get the cover on with the slides above the slot.

Jim
jschrade
First Officer

Postby bubba » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:04 pm

I just learned about a great looking sail slide made by Rutgerson www.Rutgerson.se The sail maker told me they make the best slides other than going to the Strong Track system. There slides are about $5.00 instead of $0.59 but you get what you pay for I guess. They make a really great slide setup for fully battened sails which is what I am looking at.
bubba
Captain

Postby 1st Sail » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:32 pm

I sent my OEM sail to Sailrite for a third reef. They suggested I switch out the 3/8 sail slugs. I think we switched to 1/2in. slugs. With out a down haul the drops like a rock. IIRC the 3/8in would bind occasionally. They still worked ok just the larger slug has less resistance.
1st Sail
First Officer

Postby c130king » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:51 am

Capt Sully wrote: Jim, all good info. where did you get the Lazy Jack system ? is it made for the 26M and can be ordered that way ?

Sully,

Long story but here goes. Boat came with the Lazy Jacks system. I beleive it was a JiffyJax system...but not positive. However, the system was designed so that the line for pulling the LJ system "up" (so that it was ready to use and catch the sail) was at the end of the boom. I had to pull approximately 20-25' of line at the end of my boom to pull up the LJs. The LJs were essentially one long line so by pulling on end it would go tight and by pulling the system back towards the mast it would go slack so you could put the sail cover on. Does that make sense?

Any way I would have this large wad of line...bigger than a softball...at the end of my boom. I would wrap a bungee around it and bungee it to the end of the boom. But it was an eye-sore and somewhat of a PITA. So I modified it.

now the system is in seperate parts. The port and starboard main side lines have small carabiners ($1 for a pack of three at WalMart) at the ends that clip onto small eyelets. When I want to raise the LJ's I clip the forward biners in place and pull the lines tight and clip the two aft biners to an eyelet at the end of the boom. And to take them down I just unclip pull all the lines towards the mast and they sit under my sail cover. Takes less than 2 minutes to put up or take down. The thee "cross pieces" are tied with a simple overhand knot to the main side lines. They don't come untied and they dont slip down because I wrapped a thin piece of duct tape around the main side line to "bulk" it out some to prevent slippage. And the turning blocks at the high point of the LJ system are tied to the shrouds to pull the LJ's "open" a little bit to allow the sail to fall down inside a little easier.

I have some better pictures but I can't access photobucket at work. PM me if you want some pictures.

Bottom line...Lazy Jacks are a great mod and I can't live without them since I mostly single-hand.

Cheers,
Jim
c130king
Admiral

Postby Stefan » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:25 am

Hello Jim,
first of all thanks for being so active on this forum, your video is great. I do have another question, it looks like you main drops completely down to the boom when you downhaul it, how do you do that? Do you remove the track stopper from the track beforehand? Or there is a way to modify the feeding slot so it acts like a regular track after you finished feeding the main in?

Sergei
Stefan
Deckhand

Next

Return to MacGregor Powersailor Discussion